COM prohibits students to be under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol or the unlawful manufacture, distribution, or possession of illegal drugs or alcohol on campus or while representing COM at off-campus student events. Related rules and regulations are available in the Student Handbook, available online at www.com.edu/student-services/student-handbook and in College Policy FLBE (Local). Violations of this policy will result in disciplinary action.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse Education Program
In compliance with Section 22 of the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989 (Public Law 101-226) required by institutions receiving federal funds, COM has adopted and has implemented a program to prevent the use of illicit drugs and the abuse of alcohol by students and employees that, at a minimum, includes:
- The annual distribution to each student of:
- Standards of conduct that clearly prohibit, at a minimum, the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees on the institution's property or as part of any of the institution's activities;
- A description of the applicable legal sanctions under local, state, or federal law for the unlawful possession or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol;
- A description of the health risks associated with the use of illicit drugs and the abuse of alcohol;
- A description of any drug or alcohol counseling, treatment, or rehabilitation or re-entry programs that are available to employees or students; and
- A clear statement that the institution will impose sanctions on students and employees (consistent with local, state, and federal law), and a description of those sanctions, up to and including expulsion or termination of employment and referral for prosecution, for violations of the standards of conduct required above.
For more information, contact the Student Success Center at 409-933-8379.