ABE Student Enrolled in a Career Pathway

To be admitted as an ABE Student Enrolled in a Career Pathway, students must be enrolled in a high school equivalency program, such as GED, college success academy, or English as a second language:

Step 1 - Apply

Apply online at the ApplyTexas website. There is no charge to apply. 

Step 2 - Meningitis

Some student may be required to provide proof of bacterial meningitis vaccination.  Vaccination must be taken at least 10 days prior to the first day of class. Documentation should be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office. For additional information on this requirement visit our website.

Step 3 - Advising

Meet with an advisor to discuss test results, identify career goals, create an educational plan and select courses.  Advisors are located in the Enrollment Center, Room 158. For additional information on this requirement visit our website.

Step 4 - Financial Aid and Scholarships

Complete the FAFSA form online at www.fafsa.gov and contact the Financial Aid office with questions. For additional information on this requirement visit our website. Scholarship information is available at https://www.com.edu/scholarships.

Step 5 - CSA

Complete the College Success Academy.  

Step 6 - Register

Register and pay for classes - Login to WebAdvisor at https://webadvisor.com.edu/. For assistance with online registration visit our website at http://www.com.edu/admissions/registration or call the Student Help Center, 409-933-8663.  Payment plans are available.

Step 7 - Payment

For additional information on payment plans visit our website or call the Student Help Center, 409-933-8663.

Step 8 - Student ID

Go to the Gym after paying for the first semester of classes to get a free ID card.

Step 9 - Parking Permit

A parking permit should be displayed on each automobile parked on any COM campus. Parking permits are available in the Campus Police office at no cost. Students will fill out a brief application and will need their vehicle license plate number(s). A current student ID card or state issued picture ID is required to receive a parking permit. A fine will be imposed on any student who fails to comply with parking regulations.

Step 10 - COM Email

Go to http://www.com.edu/help-center/email-create to set up an official COM email account. Official communication from the College to the student is sent through this email account.

Step 11 - Textbooks

Purchase required course textbooks. Required textbooks are available in the COM Bookstore; however, students may purchase textbooks from other preferred vendors. A student attending COM is not under any obligation to purchase a textbook from the college-affiliated bookstore. The same textbook may also be available from an independent retailer, including an online retailer.

Step 12 - Attend

Attendance at all classes is required. Contact the instructor if unable to attend class. Contact information is available in the course syllabus.

Step 13 - Connect

Attend club kickoff. Join a study group. Go to professor’s office during office hours. Join a club or organization. Build connections on campus and have fun!

For more detailed information, visit our website.  

Ability-to-Benefit (ATB)

A student who does not have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent, or who did not complete a secondary school education in a homeschool setting, may be eligible for federal financial aid through one of the ability-to-benefit (ATB) alternatives, but only if the student is enrolled in an eligible career pathway program. A student without a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent must remain enrolled in both the adult education component and in the eligible postsecondary program component throughout the student’s enrollment in an eligible career pathway program in order to be eligible for federal financial aid through this ATB alternative. The student must have successfully completed this ATB alternatives before he or she is eligible to receive federal financial aid.  Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information. 

Need Assistance?

For assistance with this process, students are encouraged to contact the Student Help Center at 409-933-8663 or visit the Student Help Center located in Room A-146 of the Enrollment Center.

Back to Top