The Human Service Careers Department offers workforce courses in these program areas:
The Cosmetology Program offers opportunities for full-time or part-time students to complete requirements for a Cosmetology Operator’s License, Esthetic Specialty License or Instructor Certificate by satisfying requirements for a Certificate program.
The goal of the program is to provide students with the skills and the theoretical foundation to be exceptional cosmetologists and estheticians.
Providing all prerequisite requirements are met, enrollment couples with College of the Mainland’s registration dates. There is a limit on the number of students who can be in the program each semester. Specialty courses include specialization in Esthetic Specialty License and Instructor License. All courses are designed for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations Examination for License in Texas.
- Applicants will be permitted according to space available. To be permitted into the Certificate Program, applicants must:
- Apply to the College of the Mainland and fulfill the admission requirements of the College. Applicants must provide the Cosmetology Department with proof of a High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
- Students must be registered by the College of the Mainland counselors.
- Transfer applicants will be permitted according to space available. To be permitted into the Certificate program, applicants must:
- Have all transcripts from college and private schools attended sent to the Cosmetology Department.
- Students must meet with the College of the Mainland counselors to verify acceptance into the program.
- Transfer students must meet with the Cosmetology Department program coordinator in order to determine course placement. Students must bring unofficial transcript when meeting with the program coordinator.
- Applicants must be in good physical health.
- Upon acceptance into the Cosmetology Program, applicants must provide and meet all Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation requirements.
General Enrollment Information
The College of the Mainland Cosmetology program limits enrollment according to space availability and staffing. The Cosmetology Department reserves the right to deny enrollment to any student not satisfying admission requirements.
To be eligible for a certificate (Cosmetology), students must have completed each of the courses with a “C” or better. Students with a grade of “I”, “D”, or “F” on transcripts must reapply for the course in order to eliminate academic deficiencies. Students are trained and prepared to take the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation Examination located in cities throughout Texas. All expenses are the responsibility of the graduate.