Students will increase the chance of having their financial aid application being reviewed prior to the tuition and fee payment deadline by completing the following steps by the priority processing date:
- After applying to COM, apply for a Federal Student Aid User ID (FSA User ID) and password before completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students will use their FSA User ID as an electronic signature. Dependent students will also need a parent or guardian to apply for a FSA User ID to complete the FAFSA and to sign the FAFSA electronically.
- Apply for federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov (COM school code: 007096). For each academic year, the student will be required to provide income information from a designated previous year’s federal tax return. Dependent students will provide information for themselves and parent(s) or legal guardian(s). Independent students only provide information for themselves. If no tax return was filed, contact the Financial Aid Office for instructions.
- Males age 18 to 25 must register with the Selective Service at www.sss.gov.
- If selected for verification by the Department of Education, provide the Financial Aid Office with additional documents as requested:
- An income tax transcript from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). COM can no longer accept photocopies of tax returns. Contact the Financial Aid Office for instructions to request this document from the IRS.
- Copies of all W-2s and/or 1099s used to complete the designated year’s tax return(s). Copies can be requested from the IRS.
- Student Verification Worksheet (available in the Financial Aid Office).
- Other supporting documentation as requested by a financial aid counselor.
- Submit all required documents by the established priority financial aid deadlines:
- Fall semester: June 1st
- Spring semester: November 1st
- Summer semester: May 1st
Warning: Students who do not complete the financial aid process by the priority deadline may have to pay tuition/fees and books/supplies out-of-pocket and get reimbursed when the financial aid application is processed.