The following provisions shall exempt a student from TSI:
- For TSI exemption purposes, ACT/SAT tests are valid for exactly five years from the qualifying test date, and Exit Level TAKS scores are valid for exactly five years. ACT/SAT/TAKS/STAAR exemption standards are as follows:
- ACT – Composite score of 23 with a minimum of 19 on the English and/or the mathematics tests shall exempt a student for the corresponding section(s). Partial exemptions are granted.
- SAT – Combined critical reading and mathematics score of 1070 with a minimum score of 500 on the critical reading test and/or the mathematics test shall exempt a student from the corresponding section(s). Partial exemptions are granted for reading or mathematics.
- TAKS (Eleventh Grade Exit Level) – Minimum scale score of 2200 on the math section and/or a minimum scale score of 2200 on the English Language Arts section with a writing subsection score of at least three shall exempt a student from the corresponding section(s). Partial exemptions are allowed for either math or reading/writing.
- STAAR – End of course (EOC) minimum score of 4000 on Level 2 of English III. Minimum score of 4000 on Level 2 of Algebra II.
- Graduate – Students who have graduated with an associate degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Military – Students who on or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired or released from
- active-duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard, or
- service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
- Transfer Student – Students transferring from a regionally accredited private or public institution having satisfactorily completed college-level coursework with a C or better in the related area(s). Students transferring from another Texas public institution of higher education identified on the incoming transcripts as “complete” for all or parts of TSI.
- Occupational Skills Award – An Occupational Skills Award is designed to be completed in two semesters or less and consists of 9-14 semester credit hours. Students enrolled in an Occupational Skills Award are waived from the TSI requirement while enrolled in the Occupational Skills Award and are restricted to the Occupational Skills Award courses.
- Level-One Certificate (L1C) – An L1C is designed to be completed in one year or less and consists of 15-42 semester credit hours. Students enrolled in an L1C are waived from the TSI requirement while enrolled in their waived program and are restricted to the courses within the waived program.
- Transient students – Students from a private or an out-of-state institution are waived from TSI requirements for one semester. Students must apply for the temporary waiver in the Admissions Office by providing an official transcript from the private or out-of-state institution. The waiver is valid for one semester.
- Non-degree-seeking or non-certificate seeking students – Students declaring that they are non-degree-seeking or non-certificate-seeking students are waived from the requirements of TSI for one semester. Students must meet with an advisor to declare the status of non-degree seeking or non-certificate seeking status. Students who are non-degree-seeking or non-certificate-seeking students are not eligible for federal financial aid. Students who accumulate more than nine credit hours must meet TSI requirements.